Wednesday, February 5, 2014

So... What DO you eat?

Fellow food allergic friends,

I'm sure you've all been asked similar questions about your diet, or heard statements like, "I'd die if I couldn't eat...insert allergy here." Honestly though, the only times I find it difficult is when a well meaning friend thinks she knows what I can and cannot eat. It is so tough to tell a friend that you'd rather not chance your well being on their, "I promise I double checked, but I don't have any of the containers..." It's not what they want to hear. Now, you could chance it and try their dish, you could prepare and bring your go to allergy saviors, or you can just eat before hand. What I've found helps, is offering to help can be the key.

When you find out that your friend is having a party offer to pitch in. Let them know that you realize it can be difficult to cater for your allergies and you'd love to help in any way you can. Suggesting a recipe, going to the grocery store with them, helping with the cooking or setup, offering to give advice on brands and ingredients, or just simply make a dish to bring, so that the hostess has less to worry about.
This way your friend has no disappointment, and you have no worries. Plus, then when other guests ask you what on earth you eat, just offer them a delicious sample of gluten free, soy free, dairy free, nut free, and corn free deliciousness. Wow them with clean food that you can eat.

Until next time!

xoxo Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment